Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Turkish Bath

Today my friends and I went to one of the traditional Turkish bath houses. It was probably one of the best experiences I've ever had! You start off by going into this big concrete dome and in the middle of the room is a hot slab of marble. The room is basically like a sauna, and you lie on the marble in your bathing suit for about 30 minutes. Once you're soked in your own sweat, a man comes in to scrub you. It's quite disgusting because he exfoliates all your dead skin off and makes you feel it, and then he rinses you. You then go on to another guy who actually washes you with soap, I'm not sure what they use to put the soap on but it's some sort of bag, anyway it's so soft and then once they have you soaped up they give you a full body massage. After this, you rinse off and they wrap you in towels and a turbin and serve you hot apple tea (so delicious!). You then go upstairs to yet another guy who gives you a full body oil massage. It was intense! I thought he was going to break me because he was so rough. He cracks practically every bone that he can... Fingers, toes, back, neck, knees, hips. He then massages out the knots (it killed, I was nearly in tears), and then he massages your face and your head. In the end, the pain was definitely worth, I felt so relaxed after. It was such an amazing experience! I love Turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment